Third Eye Meaning
Interest in natural healing continues to grow and has led to many westerners exploring ancient medical practices, including Ayurveda. Developed more than 3,000 years ago in India, Ayurveda has been used for centuries to promote health and well-being. The natural healing practice seeks to balance energy flow through the body using points called chakras. The 3rd eye is one of these seven areas of the body believed to be a critical transmitter of energy flow. But what is the third eye precisely, and how is it related to the spiritual awakening process? Read on to find out the answers to these questions and to learn how to open the 3rd eye, according to Ayurvedic practices.
What Is the 3rd eye?
The third eye refers to an area in the center of your head between your eyes. Ayurvedic practitioners believe it corresponds with the pineal gland, a tiny gland positioned near the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. Although the third eye meaning is linked to India and Ayurveda, other cultures have historically believed this body area is significant. The Ancient Egyptians associated the Eye of Horus with this area, and the 16th-century philosopher Rene Descartes thought it was where the soul resided. In Ayurveda, the 3rd eye meaning is synonymous with the sixth or Ajna chakra. You will see the three terms used interchangeably in some texts.
What Is the 3rd Eye Chakra Believed to Do?
The third eye is believed to link humans to the spiritual world. Many people who believe in psychic abilities feel that powers like ESP and clairvoyance originate there.
What Does the Pineal Gland Actually Do?
The pineal gland is responsible for manufacturing melatonin, a hormone that regulates your body's circadian rhythms to keep your sleep-wake cycle functioning smoothly. In addition, melatonin plays a role in the activities of reproductive hormones.
What Does a Blocked Sixth Chakra Mean?
Ayurvedic philosophy says that mental and physical health problems stem from improper energy flow through the body. Those who practice the natural healing tradition think that chakras like the third eye can become blocked. When this happens, energy cannot move efficiently, leading to illness, disease, and chronic disorders. According to tradition, a blocked third eye or sixth chakra is associated with:
- Cynicism and pessimism
- Confusion and uncertainty
- Lack of purpose
What Does Opening the Third Eye Mean?
Opening the third eye refers to removing blockage to allow for the free flow of energy. Ayurveda says that a fully open eye leads to:
- Mental clarity
- Improved concentration
- Better verbal and nonverbal communication
- Strong intuition
- Feelings of happiness and bliss
In addition, some people believe that opening the third eye may:
- Reduce symptoms of schizophrenia
- Allow people to achieve supernatural abilities like astral projection, lucid dreaming, and telepathy
- Lead to spiritual awakening
It's important to understand that none of the claims regarding the third eye have been validated by medical studies. There is not enough evidence to prove that techniques meant to open the third eye are beneficial for addressing symptoms of any physical, mental, or spiritual condition.
What Is a Spiritual Awakening?
The term spiritual awakening means a complete understanding of existence. The goal of many religions and natural healing practices is to achieve spiritual awakening. In Ayurveda, the third eye is the key to the awakening process.
The Spiritual Awakening Process
Over the centuries, many philosophies and healing practices have described various techniques for awakening the spirit. While they differ from tradition to tradition, nearly all these practices are meant to be done over a long time. There seems to be a consensus that spiritual awakening does not happen overnight. Most people view it as a journey that takes place throughout one's lifetime.
How to Open Your Third Eye
Although there is no definite set of instructions for opening your third eye, Ayurvedic practitioners offer suggestions to help guide you. Here are some tips based on Ayurveda:
- Be grateful. Mentally thank your third eye for its role in your physical and mental health. This may help to raise your awareness of the chakra.
- Enhance your diet. Several supplements and foods are believed to have the ability to promote energy flow to the third eye, such as:
○ Coconut oil
○ Hemp seeds
○ Star anise
○ Vitamin D3
- Use essential oils. The scents of jasmine, sandalwood, and lemon are believed to connect to the third eye.
- Gaze at the sun. Watching the sunrise and set is believed to strengthen the third eye.
- Incorporate yoga, meditations, and chants into your day. Some think traditional chants and meditation stimulate the third eye. Certain yoga poses are also believed to support third eye-opening.
- Try crystal healing. Some people think that resting certain crystals over the third eye can enhance energy flow to the chakra. Specifically, purple crystals like amethyst and rhodonite are believed to have the most benefits.
How Long Does It Take the Third Eye to Open?
There is no set time frame for third eye-opening. Most Ayurvedic practitioners recommend spending 10 minutes per day doing the above activities to drive the process.
How Do I Know if Third Eye Opening Has Occurred?
Supposedly, when the third eye is open, you can expect to have visions and perceive messages from the spirit world. Of course, no one knows for sure if these things occur. Until science manages to verify the existence of chakras, knowing whether the third eye is open is a matter of faith.